This post is comprised of a letter and recipe sent by Lois Derges VanDerVelden and a photo posted on facebook (also by Lois).
She sent a scan of a hand written recipe by Grandma Ursaki, which I would have loved to have posted here, but I couldn't get it to post clearly. I've typed it out as best as I could read it. Anyone out there have the actual baking time and temperature?
I LOVE this photo of Lois and Grandma taken in the old kitchen of the home at 506 Victoria Avenue.
Lois Derges VanDerVelden with Grandma Otillie UrsakiI’m sure you remember Grandma’s honey cookies. I have a number of her hand written recipes & came across this one. As I recall she cut these cookies into a couple of different shapes (do you remember what they were?)I tried to adjust it so it was easier to read after scanning. Her script is very distinct & although she was always self-conscious of her ability to read & write it mattered not to me as it was hers from the heart. Lois
Honey Cookies
3/4 cup butter or marg
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. each cinnamon and ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/4 cup cold strong coffee
Mix butter and sugar and honey in top of double boiler. Heat and stir until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Let cool. Sift together dry ingredients and mix with butter mixture, buttermilk and coffee. Chill for several hours. Heat oven and roll dough to 1/3 inch thickness. (No specification of cutting shapes, oven temperature or baking time. I'm sure that for Grandma, this seemed pretty intuitive and not necessary to include!)
Store (cookies) in cold place for (up to) four weeks.

No comments:
Post a Comment